Some pupils can find it difficult when they make the move from one class to another at the start of a new school year. This can be a very worrying time for parents too, especially when pupils move from one key stage to the next or from primary to secondary school.
For pupils on our SEND Register who would benefit from additional support, we make special transition arrangements. These can include:
FS1 to Year 5
- A transition book which includes photographs of key people and places in the new classroom or setting, as well as other useful information.
- Regular visits to the new classroom or setting including playgrounds and dining halls.
- Introduction to new staff to pupils in familiar surroundings.
- Whole class transition afternoon to new teacher.
- Handover meeting between previous and new class teachers.
- One Page Profiles and Provision Maps containing important information about the child to be passed on and discussed between previous and new class teacher.
Year 6 to Secondary Schools
At Biggin Hill, we realise leaving primary school can be very difficult for some children. To support this, we have a 10 week transition programme aimed at 6-8 children who will benefit from both social skills support and additional transitional activities. This includes children with identified social communication difficulties and also those who need support with anxiety and emotional wellbeing. This programme covers general discussion about secondary school, identifying familiar friends, comparing primary and secondary school, uniform/equipment changes (eg.how to tie a tie), meeting new people, using timetables and maps, bullying, homework and sanctions and asking for help.
In some cases, for children aged 10+, we may also contact or make a referral to HeadStart Hull to support with transition from primary to secondary school and to ensure support can continue to be accessed throughout the child’s education.