We have had a few reports of head lice within some areas of the school. The following advice comes from our School Nurse who says that this is a community problem and asks all parents or carers to be extra vigilant and check everyone at home. Head lice are easily passed on to other children and their families, and the following simple guidelines may be of help:-
- If you find head lice, or nits, use a lotion recommended by your Pharmacist and treat all the family on the same day. This is free if you take your child’s NHS card or your red book along with you.
- Comb the hair with a fine-toothed comb every day for 2 weeks to remove all trace of the head lice eggs and prevent reinfection.
- If you have difficulty curing the problem, please contact your Doctor.
- Treat everyone in the family.
- Do not use the lotion as a prevention against head lice – lice can become immune and the lotion may not work when you really need it.
Remember, the care of your children’s hair is your responsibility – so inspect their hair every day and wash their hair at least once a week.
Thank you for your co-operation.
For further information regarding head lice please see our Medical Advice page where there is a link to the NHS website.